This comes real easy to me – avoiding the moment when I have to stop thinking about writing and actually writing it. Almost as easily as those vague, ephemeral ideas that would turn into blockbuster hits… if only I could get around to putting pen to paper. I just realised that I may have, unwittingly, come up with a system to put off writing – surprising given that as a student I always turned in my papers on time. Being an organised kind of person I thought I must put my methods down on paper.
1. I go to the gym or go for a walk. Anyone who knows me knows that I abhor the thought of exercise. But having to write is a scarier thought.
2. I decide to cook. I am not one of those who love to cook. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate it. But I don’t love it either. But when I am staring at a blank screen, somehow the wok calls me loud and clear.
3. I watch crime series. I watch re-runs of crime series. I watch re-runs of crime series in Arabic. I don’t know Arabic.
4. I re-arrange the furniture.
5. I check FB for the 100th time in 30 minutes.
6. I read a book.
7. I do the crossword.
8. I think of how life would be if we were living in New York and plan a life there – just in case we move there in about 5 to 10 years.
9. I clean the kitchen chimney.
10. I check FB again. Nothing new. What is everybody doing?
11. I start writing.